Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Community Life Team Weighs in on Fasting

Our church is currently in a dynamic time. We are focusing on the vision that God has for us as a church by "turning it up and taking it out," during our series called Crescendo. More on our series here
Part of this series is a church wide 21 day fast. Everyone has been challenged to give something up in order to focus more on Jesus. Here's what the community life team has to say about the fast so far!

 "Corrie (my wife)and I are fasting sweets & soda... in addition, we are trying to eat healthier with our daily meal. It's been exciting to see God keep us strong through the lower energy. It's been eye opening to know how much you eat certain things also. I always think the best thing about fasting is the "slowing" process that takes place. It always seems like I get more focused on what is important & I make sure to get better and fuller rest than my normal life. Jesus is so faithful through this time & He keeps showing up and speaking new truth into my heart." - Adam Waters

 "Fasting is challenging. I don't like denying myself things that I enjoy but I do love that fasting gives me the opportunity to focus on Jesus. When we stop giving ourselves everything we want, when we want it, we're giving God the opportunity to speak His words of life into our hearts. We've been praying specifically for direction for our small group and we've seen some exciting stuff happen. I'm excited to partner with Jesus during this time! " - Julie Yoder

 "Beyond fasting sweets for lent, I have been challenged to fast media (TV and reading blogs). Wow, I had no idea how much time I spent on media. I would love to just say this fast has been refreshing, but the truth is that its been really hard. Giving up the noise of media in my life has left alot of silence. But I am realizing that Jesus speaks to me in the silence. I am finally feeling more focused than I have been in along time. I can't wait to hear from Jesus more during this fast." - Katie Goulet

"My experience fasting during this church fast has opened my eyes. Along with growing deeper with the Lord and spending more time in prayer myself, I have been able to look outside of "me" during this fast. The one thing I see that continually amazes me is our church body, all joining together in prayer, dedicated to the same vision and goal. It's incredible to watch! " - Morgan Murphy

 "I've been fasting from coffee the entire month of March. I was up to at least a pot of coffee per day. Due to running, I have chosen not to fast from food perse, although I am also using this time to really focus on eating what is most beneficial for my body and health. What I have learned through this process is how much of a hold even food can have on us. I am also looking for more ways to "live" generously, and have noticed lots of other people living this out in a multitude of ways." - Thad Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment